ADRIAN, Mich. – Senior Eric Ewing scored a game-high 27 points to lead the Olivet College men's basketball team to a 58-53 victory over Adrian College today at the Merillat Sport & Fitness Center in Adrian.
Final Score: Olivet 58, Adrian 53
Location: Merillat Sport & Fitness Center; Adrian, Mich.
Records: Olivet 8-11 overall, 4-4 MIAA; Adrian 7-12 overall, 1-7 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bulldogs started the game on a 9-2 run.
- The Comets then went on a 12-0 run behind four three-pointers – three by senior Aaron Washington and one by Ewing – to go up by five points 14-9.
- Adrian answered with five straight points to level the score at 14-14.
- Another triple by Ewing and a layup by senior Zach Walker put Olivet back up five, 19-14.
- The Comets held the lead until the Bulldogs took a 25-23 lead with 1:48 left before halftime.
- Olivet scored the final five points of the half – all by Ewing – to take a 27-23 lead at the intermission.
- The Comets pushed their lead to five points twice in the early stages of the second half. The last time was 36-31 at the 14:38 mark.
- Adrian came back with a 14-5 scoring spurt to take a four-point lead, 45-41, at the 8:13 mark.
- Olivet answered by scoring eight of the next nine points to go up three, 49-46.
- After the Bulldogs tied the game at 49-49, the Comets went ahead 51-49 after Ewing and Walker split a pair of free throws.
- Adrian tied the game at 51-51 with 1:58 left.
- Sophomore Thomas Tsalkitzis gave the lead back to Olivet, 53-51, by making a pair of free throws at the 1:41 mark.
- The Comets then made 5-of-6 free throws in the final minute to seal the victory.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet made only 15 baskets, with eight three-pointers. The Comets were efficient at the free throw line, making 20-of-24 for 83.3 percent.
- Ewing connected on 6-of-19 field goals and 13-of-14 free throws for his 27 points.
- Washington added 12 points, all on four treys.
- Tsalkitzis and Walker each grabbed seven rebounds.
FOR THE BULLDOGS
- Adrian had 21 baskets, including five triples, and six free throws for its 53 points.
- Justin Webster netted 23 points.
- Keyon Rainey chipped-in 13 points.
- Anthony Cannon pulled down 10 rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Ewing's 13 made free throws ties the school single-game record. Andre Evans also had 13 at Ferris State on Nov. 25, 2008.
- Olivet hosts Hope College next Wednesday, Feb. 1 at 7:30 p.m.