ALMA, Mich. – Junior Lane Porter threw for 351 yards and freshman Matthew Ellis ran for 113 yards to lead the Olivet College football team to a 44-20 win over Alma College this afternoon at Bahlke Field in Alma.
Final score: Olivet 44, Alma 20
Location: Bahlke Field; Alma, Mich.
Records: Olivet 5-3 overall, 3-1 MIAA; Alma 4-4 overall, 1-3 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Comets needed just two plays to score its first touchdown. Porter threw a 17-yard pass to senior Kornelius Saxton on the first play, and senior Jerome Washington rumbled 34 yards for a touchdown on the second play.
- Olivet stretched its lead to 18-0 on a pair of rushing touchdowns by Porter. The first came from a yard out with 8:25 left in the first quarter and the second was on an eight-yard scamper with 8:04 left before halftime.
- The Scots got on the scoreboard for the first time when Dylan Zaborowski completed an 18-yard touchdown pass to Chase Krueger at the 4:04 mark of the second quarter.
- The score stayed 18-7 at halftime.
- The Comets scored a touchdown on its first possession of the third quarter. On a fourth and 13 play, Porter threw a 22-yard touchdown pass to junior Jacob Jodway.
- On the ensuing Alma drive, freshman John Adams III intercepted a Zaborowski pass. Olivet responded with a 13-yard touchdown run by Ellis to go up 30-7 with 11:31 remaining in the third stanza.
- The Comets took advantage of another Scot turnover late in the third quarter. Senior Javon Walker recovered a fumble that was forced by senior Tyler Douglas. On the first play after the recovery, Porter tossed a 42-yard touchdown pass to sophomore Andre Houston.
- Alma put seven points on the scoreboard midway through the final quarter when Thomas Cannon rushed 36 yards into the end zone.
- Olivet used eight straight running plays, capped by an eight-yard touchdown burst by sophomore Jamaul Martin for its final touchdown.
- The Scots dented the scoreboard for the last time with 56 seconds left in the game.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet notched 488 yards of offense.
- Porter completed 20-of-28 passes for his 351 yards. He did not throw an interception.
- Ellis needed 16 carries for 113 yards. He also caught four passes for 80 yards.
- Saxton caught six passes for 74 yards, while Jodway hauled in three passes for 54 yards.
- Defensively, senior Walter Love III led all players with 18 total tackles, including eight solo stops.
- Junior Chase Cavric had seven tackles.
- Junior Raltheal Cornish recorded five tackles, including two quarterback sacks for negative 21 yards.
FOR THE SCOTS
- Alma totaled 341 yards, 101 through the air and 240 on the ground.
- Thomas Cannon rushed for 146 yards on 24 attempts.
- Zaborowski was 8-of-21 for 51 yards, with two interceptions and a touchdown.
- Lars Murray had a team-leading 34 receiving yards.
- Dustin Tripp led the defense with 10 tackles.
- Olivet hosts Adrian College next Saturday, Nov. 4. Kick-off at the Cutler Athletic Complex is 1 p.m.