AUBURNDALE, Fla. – The Olivet College baseball team started its Spring Break trip with a 16-3 loss to Rutgers University-Camden this morning at the RussMatt Invitational and inside the Lake Myrtle Sports Complex in Auburndale, Florida.
Final Score: Rutgers-Camden 16, Olivet 3
Location: Lake Myrtle Sports Complex; Auburndale, Fla.
Records: Olivet 1-5 overall, Rutgers-Camden 3-1 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Scarlet Raptors led 13-0 after scoring at least one runs in each of the first four innings -- three in the first, one in the second, eight in the third and one in the fourth.
- The Comets scored their first run in the bottom half of the sixth inning after freshman Junior Gomez ripped a double over the center fielder's head to score freshman Riley Bennett.
- Rutgers-Camden got that run back and two more runs in the top half of the seventh inning.
- Olivet used a two-out rally to push across a pair of runs in the last half of the seventh. Freshman Bruce Allen reached on an error and came around to score on a triple by sophomore Aaron Gillespie. Gillespie scored on an error.
FOR THE COMETS
- Gillepsie and Gomez both went 2-for-4 at the plate. Gillespie had a double and triple, and Gomez had a double and single.
- Freshman Logan Wheeler was 2-for-3.
- Gillespie suffered the pitching loss after yielding 11 runs (six earned) on 10 hits in two and two-thirds innings.
FOR THE SCARLET RAPTORS
- Rutgers-Camden pounded out 16 hits to match its 16 runs.
- Chris Jones finished with three hits and two RBI.
- Matthew Stoots had three hits, including a three-RBI double.
- John Tedeschi was 2-for-3 with three runs scored.
- On the mound, Ian Scheideman went the distance and allowed one earned run on nine hits. He struck out four and did not walk a batter.
- Olivet faces Illinois Institute of Technology tomorrow afternoon at 1:30 p.m. The game will also played at the Lake Myrtle Sports Complex.