FREELAND, Mich. – Nine Olivet College athletic teams have received the 2016-17 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) Team GPA award. This award is presented to conference teams who achieve a 3.300 or better grade point average for the entire academic year.
Eight of Olivet's 11 women's sports have earned the honor. The women's soccer team led the way with a 3.692 GPA, as 14 of the 21 players on its roster were selected to the 2016-17 MIAA Academic Honor Roll. The women's golf team had a 3.649 GPA, with five of six golfers on the roster being named to the honor roll. The women's tennis team finished with a 3.540 GPA, with 8-of-11 players on the roster being selected to the honor roll.
Next was women's cross country, 3.498; women's outdoor track & field, 3.489; women's indoor track & field, 3.481; women's swimming & diving, 3.368; and women's lacrosse, 3.302. The only Olivet men's team to earn the honor was cross country with a 3.613 GPA.
- The MIAA Team GPA Award is in its 18th year of existence. The women's golf team has now earned this award for 10 straight years and overall the 13th time in school history, the most by any sport at Olivet.
- The women's swimming & diving team has now been on the list 12 times in school history.
- The women's tennis team has earned the honor seven consecutive years and eight of the last nine.
- The men's cross country team and women's soccer team's GPAs are the best in school history for their respective sport.
- The women's soccer team's 3.692 GPA was fifth among the 89 MIAA teams honored, while the 3.649 GPA for women's golf ranked ninth.
MOST YEARS RECEIVING MIAA TEAM GPA AWARD:
- Women's golf – 13
- Women's swimming & diving – 12
- Women's basketball – 10
- Women's tennis – 10
- Women's track and field (indoor and outdoor) – 9
- Softball – 9